Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dear Diary: July 11, 2009


Very strange. I spent the whole day working on Tongue Rug as it was storming outside – day and night. I decided to take the plunge and make my YouTube channel. I started it on Friday and spent hours making tests. I uploaded 11 of the panoramic views. Very low tech. I simply made a loop of the stitched images in Flash and exported to Quicktime at one frame per second. It is jittery but I like that you have to wait to get a sense of the surroundings. Some of them are quite beautiful, almost painterly. I didn’t try to make them seamless so there are incomplete, patched up views in the round.

Here is the strange thing. After I had uploaded a batch, in the related videos section, I could see “Le Scaphandre et le papillon” – the film by Julian Schnabel. I had rented that very film to watch that night. Though the protagonist [Jean-Dominique Bauby] suffered hardship, he managed to write a novel just by blinking his eye to spell out words with a stenographer. The will to create, to communicate, to take advantage of beauty, kindness, love, life was very inspiring…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment