Friday, April 2, 2010

Progress: April 2, 2010


Made a map with my own set of custom icons: the thirty three tongues that make up the Tongue Rug. Google Sladdakavring version II. The majority span Quebec with a few waypoints in Ontario, Alberta and Sweden. The map invites interaction, as it is only at a certain scale that you get a sense of the Tongue Rug.



View Tongues in a larger map

 

A new addition to the Google Maps application is the ability to drag a Street View icon to any street on the map to see a representation of the area in 360 degrees. There is currently a bug where the Street View Icon kills the zoom function.

Yet this new feature does not particularly help me with my project because my waypoints are more often than not in the middle of a field, a forested area or a remote trail. Also, I still prefer the patchwork, imperfect nature of my photos in the round and the room for human error: the possibility that I could be documenting the wrong body of water in my searches, the likelihood that I will get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment