Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Progress: October 6, 2010


Continued work on the Sladdakavring Icons, adorning all the tongues with the chosen keywords from the associated blog postings.

I then re-worked my Tongue Rug mock-up. The first version reminded me of snowshoes somewhat: leather tongues with what resembled catgut stitching. Used an ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) filter to achieve a charcoal finish on the embroidered edges.

 

 

Though I wanted to capture a hand drawn look and feel, I chose the filter knowing ASCII is a common way to encode characters to transmit data from one database to another — thought it fitting considering this project’s focus on language and archives.

 

 

This Tongue Rug has more of a cartography feel to it, in part because of the choice of a Calligraphic Script font. I'm inspired to start work on the maps. I am starting to envision the possibilities for an animated version of the sladdakavring. À venir.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment